Wednesday, January 30, 2008

PB & J



In looking for something to eat in my apt last night (there is no food and I need to visit the store pretty badly), I saw the jar of peanut butter and it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend a while back...I never knew there were so many ways to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and that there could be a right and wrong way! I was preparing lunch one day for the two of us and she looked puzzled by the way I was making the PB & J. Finally I asked what was wrong and she replied.."that is not how you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!" I am in disbelief. I put peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other. I asked if I should put them both on the same piece of bread and she told me "NO". She proceeded to take over the sandwich assembly station. She took a bowl out and mixed the two in a bowl for what seemed like ten minutes, examined the color, added more peanut butter, mixed some more, added more jelly, examined the color (it must have been perfect because she stopped mixing) and then spread the mixture on both pieces of bread. I had never seen anyone do this before but I don't know if I had ever seen anyone make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich other than my mother. Maybe I was misguided by my mother and had been doing it wrong all along? I also remember asking my friend why she didn't use the brand that comes already mixed (or striped) in a jar? She seemed to be disturbed my even asking. Anyway I search google images for PB & J and there are pics of peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other and pics with both on one side, but there are no pics with what looks like a mixture. I think I should call and tell her!

3 comments:

Nat D said...

you were right. too much work to mix peanut butter with anything. I prefer peanut butter and banana or peanut butter and honey over jelly anyway. You should definitely call her.

Jud said...

You're all wrong. First, apply the peanut butter to the bread. Then, the jelly goes on over the peanut butter. Then, top with the other piece of bread.

And serve with a hot cup of coffee.

Have you ever use a flour tortilla instead of bread?

jennifer elizabeth keen said...

i am doing really well with my coffee jud, i am limiting to just mornings before work and managed to make it through yet another work day!