Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New Office Space...Yikes!


Ok, so here is how my insane day has gone thus far...we officially moved our office yesterday afternoon to the newly renovated Arkel Sugar building that sits about 20 yards behind my old Arkel building. Should have been easy enough...WRONG! All of our "stuff" was moved yesterday. I am semi-excited to arrive at work this morning to unpack all of my files and work garbage in and on my brand new enormous desk. I have a to-do list almost three composition notebook pages long and have had enough coffee to get me going. I put my laptop bag down and pulled out my agenda and my cell phone range...I was needed to go to the Corporate Blvd. location because there was a lady from the State Dept of Labor there to audit us. Well as it turns out, the manager we just fired from that store thought it would not be important to have any employees files or even have them complete standard new-hire paperwork! Additionally, he hired a 15yr old and several 16 yr olds which had all had several time clock violations within the past two weeks! Lovely! Since this was her first visit to our store, she kindly posted state labor laws in every corner she could find in the back of the house, wrote up a warning for the store and told us she would return in a week to follow-up. When she comes to visit next week, she will check to see if all problems have been corrected, see if there are any new problems and if there are either she will fine us $500 per occurrence and retroactively fine us for all of the offenses from today. That is like a lot of money...OMG! After dealing with that and sending the emails to all other managers warning their employees files/ paperwork must be in line in the event they would be audited by myself or the very nice lady from the state, I must rush back to the office for a 2:30 conference call to correct the final hick-ups in the new Halo system we installed in our Corporate store. It is working great, I was stressed for nothing! I am 10 minutes late for the call because I am behind every Baton Rouge citizen who believes it is a law to drive 10-20 miles under the speed limit if there is a drop of rain on the car. Following the call, I return to my office to "settle in" and begin tackling my mile-long to-do list. I immediately power on my laptop and attempt to connect to the Internet so I can reply to the emails I received while on the road and the enormous new office furniture was strategically placed in front of every power outlet in the room and the only Internet connection is clear across the room and my cable is about 6 inches in length. I then pick up my telephone to call reception so she can find IT and send them my way...and the phone doesn't work. Now it is almost 6:00 and I have completed 2 items on my list and those were done via cell from the car earlier. I want to scream!
I think I will start fresh tomorrow when I have a new outlook on my job...hopefully a sunny one!

2 comments:

Jud said...

Gotta love an audit. Ick. I am interested in the Halo system. Do you use the x-box 360 for this? Is it the new Halo-3? (just kidding - but it wouldn't surprise me if our marketing group bought one and played it).

jennifer elizabeth keen said...

Several kids working in the store when told about Halo thought it was the Video game!