Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Neighbor...


My apt complex is very small, only eight units, so we all know each other very well. Directly next door to me an older man lives alone. I see him almost every day and we speak often. He is always very pleasant to Chris and I. He has even tolerated a few late night get-togethers after Red Star closes, we are talking party until 4 or 5 AM. He works in a plant and is always gone well before I leave in the morning for work. I have noticed his truck in the parking lot all week and chalked it up to him being out of town, off from work or something. Passing his apt on the way to mine this afternoon, he steps out because he heard me come up the stairs (I am the only female upstairs, so I guess the clatter of the high heels gave me away) and he was connected to an oxygen tank (the portable kind). I asked what was wrong..he went on to tell me he had a virus that turned into a serious respiratory infection and he has been in the hospital since Sunday evening. I feel like such a shit for not checking on him when I saw his car all of those mornings! Then I realized I would have no way to check on him if he wasn't there. I don't have a cell number for him or the phone number of a relative. I must get that from him as soon as he is well again. He has a lady friend there with him right now to care for him. I am making a quiche tonight and will bring them one so she doesn't have to cook. I win the bad neighbor award!

3 comments:

Nat D said...

There's no way you could have known. You are being a VERY good neighbor.

Jud said...

I concur with Natalie. Maybe you could bring him on of your pizza kits or whatever the heck it is your company sells.

finicky said...

Oh you are doing way more than most people do. Most people don't even bat an eye. Good for you!