Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Bear

Yesterday I had a Christmas parade for work and general maintenance at the store nearest the parade; so I worked until about 3:00.


On my return drive, I remembered my friend Matt was going to be downtown for a bit bartending the intermissions at the two Christmas Carol performances at Manship Theatre and would have an extended break between intermissions, so I called him to see if may want to hang out on break mid-afternoon as I was recently free of work and wanting a drinksie. I picked him up (as there were multiple events downtown that prevented him from moving his car and treasured parking spot) and we traveled on to Hound Dogs. He had never been! I was shocked, stunned, awed by this fact and uber-anxious for him to experience. As most Saturdays, Joy was bartending and quickly made Matt feel at home in the quasi-gay environment that is Hound Dogs.
We ran into my pal, Mr. Buckey, at Hound Dogs. He is a retired man who lives on the out-skirts of my neighborhood who I often see out and about. We have pleasant conversations about his life experiences when I see him. Yesterday was chilly and Mr. Buckey was wearing a hat I had never seen him wear. He placed it on the bar after taking his seat. I complimented his hat and he proceeded to tell me the hat's story. Apparently his father and the legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant were close, personal friends and Mr. Bryant would often visit the family home of Mr. Buckey. On one visit, Mr. Bryant gave Mr. Buckey a hat he purchased by mistake. Said hat was with Mr. Buckey last night and on the bar at Hound Dogs! After hearing Mr. Buckey's story, I asked if I could have my picture taken in the hat; he honored my request...

4 comments:

Jud said...

Interesting tales from the BR. Cool about the hat, too.

Aquarius said...

I agree. Cool hat! The Santa pizza look - not so much. ;)

HiJenx said...

What is up, JenKeen?
Biz as usual, huh?
Viva la Chick-fil-A! yeah right.

Well, it has been quite awhile, I know, and who knows what you've heard. I'll fill you in another day, but wanted to at least say hey. So, "Hey there!" Question for you...why does your blog still show so many posts so far back, and after posting last night, mine is only displaying the last two. Is there a setting to change how many it will show, or am I posting too many pictures taking up too much space?" Yours has a lot fo pics too, so I am corn-fused.
Hope you are filled with Christmas spirit...and feeling mighty fine.

PB

jennifer elizabeth keen said...

PB! I have been wondering how you were doing. Ironically, the day before you posted this comment, I had a meeting at your office with some folks to discuss some possible projects. Made me wonder how you have been.

The post display setting controls how many are on page. You can select a number or range of dates, etc.

Yep, life is busy as usual, but overall I am doing well. I am trying to schedule some time off from 24th thru 4th; but looking like I can't get all of it due to the current work load.

I hope all is well with you.

I will copy this comment into a post on your blog in the event you don't return to my comments to check for a response.

Let me know if you need anything. Hope to hear from you soon :)
Jen